Computer Science & Engineering
The Computer Science Department at TJIT was established in 2006. Since its inception the Computer Science Department has seen exponential growth and today in addition to B.E in Computer Science it also offers B.E in Information Science and MCA. The courses are offered under the auspices of VTU and are recognized by AICTE. Every year the department has an intake of 60 students each for BE Computer Science and BE Information Science Engineering. From August 2010 an additional 50 seats have been allocated by VTU for the MCA program.
To achieve excellence in delivering quality education of global standard, coupled, with innovative practices using advanced technology and expertise, transforming the student community into potential global leaders with accountability to meet societal, national and dynamic global challenges.
To develop as a top-notch department of excellence in computer science and engineering in terms of education, training, research and teaching environment that will mould student into innovative engineers competent at solving real world challenges in industry with excellent technical skills and high ethical standards.
Special Features of the Department
- ◊ The faculty in the computer science department at TJIT consists of well qualified engineering professionals with extensive teaching and industry experience. Faculty members hold doctoral, postgraduate and undergraduate degrees from internationally renowned institutions with specializations in subjects like Computer Networks, Information Sciences, Embedded Systems and Digital Image Processing.
- ◊ Each staff prepares a lesson plan and maintains a class diary that is uploaded into MIS software. Students as well as parents have complete access to the course file for the subject they handle. Course file includes syllabus, class plan, lesson plan, question bank, lab manuals, assignments and notes.
- ◊ The management ensures that student to staff ratio of 15:1 is maintained so that students get individual attention from faculty members.
- ◊ Excellent infrastructure:
- ◊ Number of Laboratories 06 + 01 Project Lab
- ◊ Number of Class Rooms 04 + 02 Tutorial Class Room (each class has 70 seats)
- ◊ Number of Staff Rooms 04
- ◊ Number of Seminar Hall 01 + 01 Conference Room (equipped with audio visual aids)
- ◊ Department library has well stocked books, journals and technical literature, internet facility.
- ◊ Laboratories are adequately equipped with
- ◊ Networked computer systems with Blade Server IBM, 9965 Xeon Server, printers, projectors, OHP and one acer laptop.
- ◊ Continuous power supply from a generator, located in campus.
- ◊ Project lab for final year students.
- ◊ MIS software helps the parents and students to keep track of their wards IA Marks and Attendance from home, which is daily updated by faculty’s in-charge of subject.
- ◊ Career guidance from training and placement officer.
- ◊ Special classes are arranged for the benefit of students needing extra help and a one to one interaction with respective lecturers.
Currently offers Doctor of Phylosophy in Computer Science Engg.
Long Term Goals
- ◊ To establish Information systems and Technology corporate training center.
- ◊ To encourage research activities in the department.
- ◊ To establish centre-of-excellence for research in Information Technology.
- ◊ To establish and strengthen Industry-Institute interaction and be industry solution providers.
- ◊ To take up sponsored projects from private and government organizations.
- ◊ To have more number of publications and patents in the emerging areas of information technology.
- ◊ To be among top ten leading institutes in India and abroad and be recognized as the best department in terms of research and innovation.
- ◊ To create better entrepreneurs in the area of Information Technology.
Short Term Goals
- ◊ To strengthen the department infrastructure and human resources.
- ◊ To conduct faculty development programmes regularly for skill upgradation.
- ◊ To conduct programmes for students to acquire soft and hard skills and inculcate leadership qualities, research orientation and technical skills.
- ◊ To conduct continuing education programs and workshops/ conferences for knowledge sharing with outside world.
- ◊ To improve academic performance of students using innovative and creative methods of teaching.
It is constant endeavor of the department in bringing excellent results in all the semesters. Overall passing percentage for VIII semester for the year 2010-11 is 95%.