Electronics & Communication Engineering
The department was established in the year 2006 immediately after the institute was founded. The department offers 4-year B.E program (8 semesters) in Electronics and Communication Engineering and M.Tech in VLSI Design and Embedded Systemswhich is affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU) and approved by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). The department currently has an intake of 120 students for B.E. and 18 for M.Tech.
To achieve excellence in delivering quality education of global standards, coupled with innovative practices using advanced technology and expertise, transforming the student community into potential global leaders with accountability to meet societal, national and dynamic global challenges.
To provide the students of UG and PG programmes quality education for enabling them to compete internationally, with creative solutions, generate and disseminate essential knowledge and technologies in the field of Electronics and Communications Engineering.
Special Features of the Department
- ◊ The department has highly qualified competent and motivated faculty members with a minimum qualification of Ph.D/M.Tech/M.E in subjects like Image Processing, Digital Communication, VLSI and Embedded Systems, Digital Electronics, Applied Electronics, Networking with a good teaching and research experience.
- ◊ Every staff prepares the course file for the subject they handle before start of every semester and uploads the same to MIST software; subsequently students have an access to the same. The course file includes syllabus, class plan, lesson plan, previous year university question papers, lab manuals, assignments and materials for teaching.
- ◊ To ensure effective teaching efforts are made to keep the student to staff ratio of 15:1.
- ◊ Excellent infrastructure:
- ◊ Number of Laboratories 08 + 01 Project Lab (shared with TE department)
- ◊ Number of Class Rooms 05 + 02 Tutorial Class Room (each class has 70 seats)
- ◊ Number of Staff Rooms 02 + 01 HOD Room
- ◊ Number of Seminar Hall 01 + 01 Conference Room (modern audio, video aids)
- ◊ Ladies Waiting Room 01
- ◊ Department library has well stocked books, journals and technical literature, internet facility and educational compact discs.
- ◊ Laboratories are adequately equipped with
- ◊ Advanced instruments, DSP Kits, Advanced Communication kits,VHDL Kits, 8051/8086 kits
- ◊ Software’s like Mentor Graphics, Xilinx, KIEL, Matlab 6.5, code composer studio, MASM and open source software
- ◊ Networked computer systems with Blade Server IBM, 9965 Xeon Server, printers, projectors, OHP and one acer laptop.
- ◊ Continuous power supply from a generator, located in campus.
- ◊ Project lab for final year students.
- ◊ Mentor system (20 students per faculty) is effectively followed for entire duration of study at department.
- ◊ To overcome academic problems faced by students.
- ◊ To assist students for overcoming personal problems, which would hinder their academic performances.
- ◊ MIST software helps the parents and students to keep track of their wards Internal Assessment Marks and Attendance from home, which is daily updated by faculty’s in-charge of subject.
- ◊ The department obtained ISO certification (ISO 9001:2008) in year 2008.
- ◊ Career guidance from Training and Placement Officer.
- ◊ Special classes are arranged for the benefit of students needing extra help and a one to one interaction with respective lecturers.
- ◊ International students from countries like South Africa, Srilanka, Nepal are also studying in the department.
- ◊ Good learning academic atmosphere.
Of late, many of the multinational companies in India, especially in Bangalore, have started their R&D activities related to VLSI and Embedded Systems in the field of semiconductor (Nano-level) technology, thus creating an employment potential among the Electronics Engineers. This inspired the department to go for the inception of the subject programme in the current academic session, and as a follow-up, the M.Tech (VLSI Design & Embedded Systems) course was applied and got approved by VTU/ AICTE.
The subject course is a 4-semester programme approved by VTU, Belgaum, covering updated technology-based studies with maximum practical approach. VLSI Design and Embedded Systems find a number of applications in the field of Semiconductor (Nano) technology, since this paves a platform for any high performance computing environment. Engineers with these specializations could be fit in many industries (both public & private sectors) of various types, and their work varies by industry and function. With the rapid rate of expansion in the semiconductor oriented industrial sector, the employment potential for these technical professionals is very high. These engineers are required in Electronics Engineering related military, space, automotive industries, etc..
- ◊ Create a good learning academic atmosphere.
- ◊ Provide practical exposures to the students through modern laboratories with continuous upgradation.
- ◊ Enhancing the information sources like Library and internet access facilities.
- ◊ Create technical awareness among the students through special lectures from the eminent resource persons, industrial visits and in-plant training.
- ◊ Improve the faculty performance through continuous education, organizing and participating in seminars, workshops, faculty development programs, national and international conferences.
- ◊ Motivate both faculty members and students to undertake research assignments and develop prototypes with Industry and Institution interactions.
- ◊ Encourage final year students to get their projects sponsored by KSCST (Karnataka State Council for Science and Technology).
- ◊ Offer Post Graduate Degree Programmes with the specialization in DSP, VLSI, Embedded Systems and Communication Systems.
- ◊ Obtain NBA accreditation in next 3 years.
Electronics and Communication Engineering is an engineering discipline which adopts the scientific knowledge of the behavior and effects of electrons to develop components, devices, systems, or equipment (as in electron tubes, transistors, integrated circuits, and printed circuit boards) that uses electricity as part of its driving force. The core subjects like physics and mathematics are fundamental requirement to understand the functionality both in qualitively and quantively.
Electronics and Communication Engineering are gaining increasing importance in all walks of life. The advancements and technological innovations in electronics make our lifestyle easier and comfortable.
- ◊ An Electronics engineer must either invent or innovate new solutions to the practical problems associated with our lives.
- ◊ An electronics engineer will work in team in association with other specialists to design, fabricate, produce, test and supervise production and manufacturing processes and oversee installation and maintenance of same, (complex products and systems i.e. electronic equipments and components for a number of industries as diverse as commercial communications, medicine, agriculture, entertainment, computer industry, electronic data processing system for communication and defense).
Electronics and Communication Engineering is a ever expanding branch of the engineering adding specialized subcategories like consumer and profession electronics needs.
- ◊ Electronics industry being a labour intensive industry provides many job Opportunity, there is always a quest of skilled job specialist requirements in any industry.
- ◊ There is an ample opportunity for research and innovation by perusing as research engineer or educationists through higher learning such as Master of Technology (M.Tech), Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering (PhD).
- ◊ Digital Trainer kits, Scientech CROs, Tektronix Digital storage oscilloscope
- ◊ TDM, DPSK & QPSK Kits, Power Supplies of different voltage ranges, Function Generators, Pulse Generators, LCR meter, Frequency meter, IC tester, Digital Multi meters & LCD Projector, Logic Analyzer, Inkjet Printers, Power Electronics Modules.
- ◊ Mentor Graphics software, Xilinx FPGA Trainer Kits with interface module, DSP kits, Micro-controller kits with interfaces, 8086 software package with interfacing kits
- ◊ Computers with Internet facility
- ◊ Microwave test benches, Fiber Optics Kits, Microstrip Antenna.
It is constant endeavor of the department in bringing excellent results in all the semesters. Overall passing percentage for VIII semester for the year 2010-11 is 92%.