The department was established in the year 2009. The department offers 4-year B.E program (8 semesters) in Mechanical Engineering which is affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU) and approved by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). The department currently has an intake of 60 students.
To impart futuristic technical education through dedicated staff and set a global standard by making students, technologically superior, disciplined and ethically strong who will improve the life of human being.
To educate students from all over India, including other countries, to compete internationally, with creative and practical knowledge for meeting the needs of society, in the field of Mechanical Engineering.
Special Features of the Department
- ◊ The department has highly qualified competent and motivated faculty members with minimum qualification of M.Tech/M.E in subjects like machine design, thermal engineering, computer integrated manufacturing, product design management etc with good teaching and research experience.
- ◊ Every staff prepares the course file for the subject they handle before start of every semester and uploads the same to MIST software, students have access to same. Course file includes syllabus, class plan, lesson plan, previous year university question papers, lab manuals, assignments and materials for teaching.
- ◊ To ensure effective teaching efforts are made to keep the student to staff ratio of 15:1.
- ◊ Excellent infrastructure:
- ◊ Number of Laboratories 10 + 1 Workshop
- ◊ Number of Class Rooms 05 + 02 Tutorial Class Room (each class has 70 seats)
- ◊ Number of Staff Rooms 02
- ◊ Number of Seminar Hall 01 + 01 Conference Room (equipped with audio visual aids)
- ◊ Ladies waiting Room 01
- ◊ Department library has well stocked books, journals and technical literature, internet facility, cd’s.
- ◊ Laboratories are adequately equipped with
- ◊ Advanced Material testing equipments, Foundry and forging equipments, Lathes etc. There are 60 high end desktop computers for CAMD lab. Continuous power supply from a generator, located in campus.
- ◊ Mentor system (20 students per faculty) is effectively followed for entire duration of study at department
- ◊ MIST software helps the parents and students to keep track of their wards IA Marks and Attendance from home, which is daily updated by faculty’s in charge of subject.
- ◊ To assist students overcome personal problems which may hinder the student’s academic performances.
- ◊ MIS software helps the parents and students to keep track of their wards IA Marks and Attendance from home, which is daily updated by faculty’s in-charge of subject.
- ◊ Career guidance from training and placement officer.
- ◊ Special classes are arranged for the benefit of students needing extra help and a one to one interaction with respective lecturers.
- ◊ Sports facilities (Table Tennis, Volley ball, Cricket, Caroms, Chess and Throw Ball for girls).
- ◊ Students from countries like South Africa, Srilanka, Nepal are studying here.
- ◊ Create a student friendly disciplined good learning environment.
- ◊ Provide practical exposure to the students through modern laboratories with continuous upgradation.
- ◊ Enhancing the information sources like Library, internet access facilities.
- ◊ Create technical awareness among the students through special lectures from eminent resource persons, industrial visits and in plant training.
- ◊ Improve the faculty performance through continuous education, organizing and participating in seminars, workshops, faculty development programs, national and international conferences.
- ◊ Motivate both faculty and students to undertake research works and develop products through Industry and Institution co-operation.
- ◊ Encourage final year students to get there projects sponsored by KSCST (Karnataka State Council for Science and Technology).
- ◊ Get NBA accreditation in next 4 years.
Mechanical engineering branch is a discipline of engineering that applies the principles of physics and materials science for analysis, design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. It is the branch of engineering that involves the production and usage of heat and mechanical power for the design, production, and operation of machines and tools. It is one of the oldest and broadest engineering disciplines. The engineering field requires a vast understanding of core concepts including mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics, materials science, and structural analysis. Mechanical engineers use these core principles along with tools like computer-aided engineering and product lifecycle management to design and analyze manufacturing plants, industrial equipment and machinery, heating and cooling systems, motorized vehicles, aircraft, watercraft, robotics, medical devices and more.
One of the advantages of selecting mechanical engineering as specialty is that it is a fairly general and all-purpose engineering degree. That means one will be able to gain employment at many different companies across the nation.
- ◊ Mechanical Engineers are most wanted by all the industry types for designing, developing, testing, implementing and maintaining a new technology that increases the productivity of machineries, tools and equipments used in the all types of industries. They can also serve in automotive technology, electromechanical field, fluid mechanics, power stations, railways, aeronautical divisions, research organisations, chemical field, constructions and many more. They can opt for private organisations, public sector companies or government enterprises to enhance their skills and grow in this career.
- ◊ Mechanical Engineering is one of the basic types of engineering which forms the basis of all inventions and developments. So pursuing a career in this subject needs a lot of dedication, creativity, technically strong skill set, logical thinking, analyzing and professionalism to flourish and prosper in this field. There are a wide range of employment opportunities to mechanical engineers all over the world.
The department has excellent infrastructure with state of the art equipment and software. The department is having CAED, CAMD with 60 computers cater to student needs. The department has a strong R & D culture.
Sophisticated Equipment/Software Tools available in Laboratories
- ◊ Digital type Universal testing Machine of 60 ton capacity with Accessories.
- ◊ Wear testing machine, Different Hardness testing machines- BHN, VHN, RHN.
- ◊ Non destructive testing equipments like Trinacular type- Metallurgical Microscope.
- ◊ Software package- Solid Edge v-20, 60 users license